Thursday, January 3, 2008

Week 4, Thing 8

I've spent the past couple of days playing around with Google Reader. I'm not sure I like using RSS. I think I'm experiencing information overload. I've set up a number of feeds and now feel that I have to read EVERYTHING that is posted. Needless to say, that won't work, so I'm trying to skim the articles and pick and choose those that are interesting and/or helpful. I do like the fact that I don't have to check individual websites for updated information and that the articles are there until I have the time to read them. I still haven't figured out how to delete what I've read, or if GoogleReader has that feature.

I was disappointed that some of the sites I visit regularly for work do not have an RSS feature. For example, I am on the Renaissance Reading site every day, sometimes multiple times in a day. It would be nice to get updates when new AR quizzes are added. They do notify by email, but I can see how it would be easier to navigate to GoogleReader than sign on to my email to check updates.

I know that my TeacherWeb.com site has an RSS button. It might be a good idea to notify parents that this would be a good way for them to keep up-to-date with changes or additions to the library web site.

1 comment:

Library Lady said...

I like GoogleReader but subscribed to too many RSS sites and became overwhelmed. Once I deleted some, it was really beneficial.