Thursday, March 27, 2008

Week 8, Thing 18

Online productivity tools - the inventors should be given awards, achieve sainthood, something wonderful for creating these easy to use, soon to be can't live without tools. I'm in the process of going through my documents on one of my computers to figure out what should be saved and what I can live without. In the process of getting new computers, I realized that the hard drive of the existing computer is my life (or what it has been for the past 6 years). I've been transferring important documents to a newer computer, but now, I can create them in Zoho or Google Docs and work on them ANYWHERE!!!!! So, it's out with the old-fashioned and in with the new online tools. One of our teachers has been using Google Docs. I've just created a spreadsheet for one of her projects and invited her to edit and/or add to it. The Teacher Librarians in our district are working on a presentation for the next board meeting. We've gotten together to discuss and create the presentation - I can see that using Zoho would be a good way for us to communicate our ideas and be able to edit and comment on entries. I've published a draft of what would be missing without us there. I think using Zoho would be a good way to create an interactive library calendar that could be posted to a blog or wiki - one that teachers would be able to access. I like the feature that allows you to invite people to read or read/edit your docs and that you get an email when changes are made to your docs.

2 comments:

Jane, TL in the classroom said...

Hi Sheryl,
I see you've been busy! I think you are right that we should move to online documents, especially for items that we want to share. Since you are checking them out now, which do you think would be better -- Google docs or Zoho. I've been using Google docs for some of my own stuff, but haven't tried sharing yet.

Library Lady said...

Wow! I think you are going to finish the 23 things by the end of the month! Way to go!