Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Week 7, Thing 17

That was easy! Here's what I added:

Idea #16:
I can see how middle school students might use some of the Flickr tools to create posters and/or trading cards of their favorite books. Or they could use Flickr mashups for their school projects - especially my 6th graders on their biome reports. I imagine they could create trading cards for the animals found on their biome along with the links for the food chain.

My only concern is the possibility of vandalizing the wiki all too easily. Is there any way to protect the information and preview what is submitted before posting? If not, then a blog may be more appropriate for middle school.

3 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Re: vandalizing a wiki. Each time the wiki is updated, several of us get notified. We would know who said or did something inappropriate.

You'd set your wiki settings in a way that makes sense for you -- just as you do on your blog.

IrmaPince said...

I save a copy of my "original" wiki. I also get a message with any changes that are made. So far I have only had "accidents" not "vandalism".

Sheryl Grabow-Weiss said...

Thanks for the comments. Your suggestions help take the fear out of using wikis with middle schoolers. I'm still not sure if a wiki or blog is the best way to post new books in the library. I'll play around with both and then decide.