Friday, January 4, 2008

Week 4, Thing 9

This was not an activity that I enjoyed. I've spent the last couple of days looking at the following sites. I'm not sure I see how I'd use these sites in my library. Here's my short review of some search tools.

Feedster was down. Apparently they are changing their program - updating their beta version

Topix.net - I can see using this site to research current events. I used it to research an item I'm thinking of purchasing to find any reviews - positive or negative. It provides interesting results.

Syndic8.com - Didn't like this site at all. It was not user friendly - too convoluted.

Technorati - I guess I'm just a Google groupie. Search results on Technorati gave me too many blogs and many that had nothing to do with my search terms.

Google Blog Search - This will probably be the search tool I'll use most often. Like most of Google applications, this one was easy to use. I just can't believe what people are blogging about. Who has the time to chronicle their life like this?

Blog Pulse - This was fun - especially seeing my own blog listed. I like the fact that you can search by date. That might be a useful feature, I think!?! Playing with the other tools was interesting but I don't think I'll be using any of these tools soon.

I did find a fun tool - The Blog Readability Test. You enter in your blog URL, click the "readability" button and your readability rating is ready to import into your blog. I can't believe that my blog is rated "Genius". I'd take their ratings with a grain of salt.

2 comments:

Library Lady said...

I must have previewed these sites last summer, but I don't remember any except the Google Blog Search. I like your comments about them. You've been very productive during your winter vacation, RedCouchReader. Hope you also took some time or reading on that beautiul red couch!

Marie Slim said...

That Readability thing is pretty cool! I'm going to try it out on my blog. I did not like Technorati that much either. But I do want to check out Blog Pulse.

I like your avatar's pink ribbon and pink hair! (I'm a survivor myself :-)