Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Rethinking del.icio.us, Rollyo and Google Custom Search

I spent some time this weekend (aren't 3 day weekends glorious) trying to figure out how to use these tools in the library. Our 7th grade students are about to begin their research for Medieval Market (our version of the Renaissance Fair). All three of these tools would help guide their research. I created a Google Custom Search and a Rollyo search with appropriate websites for their research. Unless I create a del.icio.us account for the school - which might not be a bad idea - students would see all of my bookmarks along with the ones selected for their projects. So, now that I have these search engines set up, where do my students access them? My website is through TeacherWeb.com and I've not figured out a way to include the Rollyo or Google search box on the site. Any suggestions???

2 comments:

Library Lady said...

I'm afraid you ahead of me in using these tools. I guide my students to the websites collected in our OPAC and I link specific cites to the center column of my library web page. It works well and I haven't really seen the need for a custom search engine or rollyo. But I applaud your efforts and wish you luck.

IrmaPince said...

I do put my Rollyo's on my website, but I do my own site (yes, laboriously typing in html). Perhaps the tech folks at TeacherWeb could give you a hint.